Hey Sugar Bee Readers, it’s Kilee from ONE little MOMMA. I have been loving graphic tees this year and had my eye on quite a few to recreate. I love a good, easy DIY- especially if it is something I can wear! I love things that I can do in 30 minutes or less- while the kids are digging in the backyard or if I’m lucky, napping. I saw this tee a few weeks ago and knew I wanted to try and recreate it. I loved it when I saw it, but something about making it myself makes me love it even more!
So to start I grabbed a loose fitting white tee from my giveaway pile. It had a crew cut neck, so I first took scissors to the collar. I just cut the collar off and it opened the neck up into more of a scoopy-boat neck like the original.
Next I grabbed a rounded bristle paint brush from my supply box and black fabric paint. Stick a piece of paper inside the shirt where you will be painting so that it doesn’t bleed through.
I wanted the letters to look rough and dry, so I didn’t use any water. I only dipped the brush into the paint and did strokes that used up all of the paint- leaving parts of the letters less saturated with paint. I had to go over some of the letter multiple times to add more paint and darken parts. The tee can really soak up the paint!
I definitely free handed it, but I did have a photo in front of me of what I wanted it to look like. If you don’t trust yourself you could pencil it in first- but sometimes just going with it and not over thinking it gives a better outcome. After it dried for a few hours I threw it in the dryer for 30 minutes to set the paint. And that is it!
You can see that it isn’t a perfect match to the original, but I still love how it turned out. The point is that it looks free handed, rough and messy. It is a great graphic tee that you can wear in so many ways.
In this look I paired my new graphic tee with a black moto jacket, green skinny jeans and tall brown boots. I’ve also worn it with boyfriend jeans and TOMS, black denim and wedges, and a jean jacket and cords. The possibilities are endless!
- How To Wear the Color of the Year- Fashion Contributor - January 10, 2014
- How to Wear a Chambray Shirt This Fall- Fashion Contributor - November 8, 2013
- DIY Graphic Tee: Give Your Tee Some LOVE- Fashion Contributor - October 11, 2013
- 5 Tips for What to Wear for Family Pictures- Fashion Contributor - September 13, 2013
- Cargo Vest Tutorial- Fashion Contributor - August 9, 2013
- Summer Trend: How to Wear Neon- Fashion Contributor - July 12, 2013
- Tips for Picking Your Summer Purse (and Staying Stylish all Summer!)- Fashion Contributor - June 14, 2013
- How to Wear a Denim Vest- Fashion Contributor - May 10, 2013
- Toddler Lace Detail Top Tutorial- 3 Ways! - April 12, 2013
- Basic Shoe Wardrobe for Spring and Summer 2013- Fashion Contributor - March 8, 2013
Yours is better than the original, ’cause it’s made with Love 😀