Yes, you read that right, I’m here to give you 5 ways to Happiness through decluttering a closet. It’s TRUE! I have been listening to several books lately that motivated me to clear out some things and it has been SO amazing! I didn’t realize how much Instant Happiness a closet cleanout could bring, but it did! Look at how much I purged! I was able to donate my items to Goodwill, so they’re going to help others.
AND, get excited, it’s time to open up your closets, garage, and kitchen drawers, because #WhyIDonate is now in full swing – literally, since I’m giving away a chance to win tickets to see the Boys in Blue go up against the St. Louis Cardinals – SCORE!
I’ve got a couple of different tips for you, HOW to declutter a closet, AND, how DECLUTTERING BRINGS INSTANT HAPPINESS. This post has been sponsored by Goodwill. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
How to Clean Out a Closet, DeClutter Closet Checklist
I go through my closets pretty frequently, but this was different. I was much more able to clear things out! Why? Before I didn’t have a clear list, but here’s how I did it this time. The checklist only has two questions…
With each item, ask yourself:
- Does it Fit? (yes, move on to next question – no, it’s outta there!)
- Would I Pick to Wear it Tomorrow? This was a GAMER CHANGER for me. I have lots of things that I like – they’re cute, they fit, and so I’ve always kept them in the past. But when it comes down to picking out something to wear, I never pick them. I don’t know why, they just don’t call to me. So I told myself, if I wouldn’t pick to wear it tomorrow, it’s time for it to go. Even if I paid a lot for it. Even if it has a story behind it. Even if, even if – because if I wouldn’t wear it tomorrow, then why did I have it? So freeing!
Here’s what I started with (plus all my dresser drawers, etc)
Decluttering Brings Instant Happiness
I’ve narrowed it down to 5 ways to get Instant Happiness just from decluttering your drawers and closets. And that was just my room! I’m now moving on to go through kitchen drawers and medicine cabinets and game shelves and all. the. places. We all know clearing out is a good thing, but how can it bring happiness?
5 ways to Happiness through decluttering a closet
- Less Choices. This is not where you think more things will make you happier – it’s counterintuitive, but it’s the opposite. Too many choices makes you unhappy. Too overwhelming. When you have fewer choices and all of those choices are things you like, it makes you happy. Again, narrow that closet down to where it’s all things that you would pick to wear tomorrow. If you’re like me, you choose to wear the same things again and again – narrow it down to those, no need to hang on to the rest.
- Feel Good About Helping Others. Donate the results of your closet clean out – you have lots of great things! You love what you have, it’s just not “you” – but it’s perfect for someone else. By donating you can help others and that makes you happy. I donated tons to Goodwill, and that made me happy! Goodwill is local – all the money stays right here in our community to empower people to earn and keep jobs. 3. Visual Clutter is Nagging. When you see closets and drawers that are overloaded, it instantly overloads your mind. It nags at you that you should clear it out. When your closet is cleaned out, the visual results makes you happy. Everything has a place and it looks clean and organized. When I see my closet organized with room to breathe, it makes me feel like I’m winning at life.
4. Instant Results. It’s so easy! Decluttering a Closet can be done in an afternoon or less time. It’s not a project that will go on and on and on with no results. You will see results immediately and seeing instantly that a project is complete gives you an awesome sense of accomplishment. Accomplishing projects and tasks makes you happy.
5. Tax Savings. No explanation needed, anything that gives you tax savings is going to make you happy!
Goodwill has great locations – easy to drive up, let someone unload my car and be on my way.
“One man’s trash is another’s treasure.” And it’s even better if you can use it to help further a good cause! Enter to win below by commenting on blog, visiting the Goodwill site or Goodwill’s Facebook/Instagram page or following on Twitter.
- Grand Prize – tickets to see Kansas City Baseball on Aug 10th against St. Louis- Dugout Plaza (Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:15pm)
- Secondary Prize – one of 5 T-Shirts